Today I wanted to share the third dress I’ve made as part of Operation Sharon Tate, the ongoing project I’ve been collaborating on with my sister, where I’ve been making her late 1960’s and 1970’s clothing.
This dress is yet another muslin/toile, since my sister lives out of town and needs to try these dresses on and have them properly fitted before I can really dive into the projects for real, but I really like it so far.
I used Style 3837 for this dress, and made view 3:
This pattern is from 1972 and is STUNNING. You can find some truly gorgeous Style patterns from the 1970’s and they’re quickly becoming one of my favourite pattern companies for 1970’s patterns. I only wish they were easier to come by!
Since this dress was being made for my sister, once again I took some progress pictures to send her that I’ll include in this post. Including this one of a very real problem I was dealing with while making this dress:
My cat fell in love with this pattern and dress and I kept finding her snuggling up with the dress and pattern pieces or instructions while I was in the process of making the dress. At every single stage of making it, Cali found a way to rub up against, cuddle, paw and sleep on this dress and otherwise infuse it with her love – and fur. Pins be damned, the wanted this dress!
The first progress photos I sent my sister! You can see from the second photo that the front panels were just ever so slightly off, which drove me a little nuts. I almost took the dress apart to try and align them properly, but decided to wait since I might have to alter the dress anyway. I did better on the back of the dress at least! And in the last picture, I had to show off my very nearly invisible hem to my sister (and now the internet), because it’s one of my favourite sewing techniques and it always makes my day when I can come as close to nailing it as possible.
I used elasticated thread for the sleeves, which took a little trial and error to figure out since it was my first time, but my trusty 1960’s Singer 403A got the job done! It certainly isn’t perfect, but I’m pretty pleased with it. I took some close up photos of the inside and outside of the sleeves, complete with the remnants of Cali’s nightly snugglefest with the dress:
Somehow I didn’t photograph the dress once it was finished, probably because we kept having a lot of gloomy, rainy, flood warning filled days where I couldn’t take pictures, but I did take two photos once the sleeves were on, so close enough!
As you can tell, I still haven’t figured out a good set up for taking photos, but I’m hoping to get to it soon, I’ve just been incredibly busy and haven’t had a chance to think about it properly or set anything up. Sorry about that!
I really love this pattern and I hope I’ll be up to the task of making view 1 soon, which involves a lot of yummy shirring and embroidery! I can’t wait to even make this view again! If you come across this pattern and love 1970’s fashion, snap it up! It is SUCH a fabulous pattern!
My sister can’t come down for a visit soon enough! I’m so excited about her trying these dresses on and then re-making them even better for her – on top of just being excited about seeing her and my niece in general! On pins and needles until the summer…